Johnson Bros. “His Majesty” Bread & Butter Plate
Johnson Bros. was founded in 1882 by two of four brothers, Alfred and Frederick Johnson, grandsons of the famous Meakin potters.
They began by purchasing the Charles St. factory in 1882 at a Hanley bankruptcy sale. They produced white earthenware plates that were very similar to ironstone. Then in 1888 another of their brothers, Henry, joined the company. They then began producing transfer ware, which is what they are most famous for. In 1896, their final brother, Robert, joined the company, and they began production in America. By 1898 they owned five factories, Charles St.Works, Imperial Works, Hanley Works, Trent Works, and Scotia Rd. Works.
They continued to be successful, though having ups and down until 1968 when they joined the Wedgwood Group in an attempt to stay afloat. Finally in 2003 they closed their last British factory and shifted production to China.